21 February 2014

Meniere's Disease

“Eggs, milk, chocolate – it’s what’s for dinner,” my fb friend posted with a link; he should know.
WD’s repost, 7 Foods Experts Said Were Bad For Us Turned Out To Be Healthy is @ AlterNet. I didn’t know AlterNet. They say it’s, 
an award-winning news magazine and online community that creates original journalism and amplifies the best of hundreds of other independent media sources. AlterNet’s aim is to inspire action and advocacy on the environment, human rights and civil liberties, social justice, media, health care issues, and more.
“Everything bad is now declared good and everything good is now to be utterly discarded!”, reposted fb Kristoph to WD.
For my part? I’m growing into my imagined dotage ~ Please, ma'am, wipe the drool from my mouth for me? ~ I re-post fb WD to say, “Not any more.” 
When my ENT, Dr. Leslie B----, K-town, TN, recommended I take a diuretic, triamterene-HCTZ, I was reluctant and she said, “Salt is in everything,” with charming understatement. And of course I thought, I know. My blood pressure is low and no history of heart disease in me or my family and I’ve been fortunate I could shovel in all the salt I want and I’m fortunate I’ve never had serious dietary concerns to require sustained changes.
Salt, sodium chloride (NaCI), which I now must manage, is target #1 for directly alleviating 2 of 3 Meniere’s Disease symptoms. These two are unceasing. Tinnitus is incessant. Ballooning pressure, it's locus at the inner ear, is ever persistent and manageable. My 4 episodes of vertigo still elude linear narrative sense. Sodium Chloride (NaCI) is in EVERYTHING in big-process food production chains and products; I imagine each product extruded. Dr. Leslie B----, of K-town, TN, I sense you recognize, name, and diagnose symptoms more frequently than anyone can imagine. I’m sorry for my reluctance in the face of your recommendation. I’m thankful for your Rx.
Relative contributions of dietary sodium sources.
Journal of the American College of Nutrition. 1991 Aug; 10(4):383-393.
I started label reading. Milk? I love skim milk. All milk, except from her udder to your mouth milk, contains some NaCI. It’s added. NaCI is 5%, 120 mg, of the daily-recommended intake (DRI) in 8-ozs of my big box store’s private label skim milk. Whole milks can be as high as 15%. I really like loca-vore organic vanilla ice cream. I don’t yet wanna know it’s compounded, for me, NaCI content. But chocolate? I love chocolate sauce. I recommend Santa Cruz ORGANIC Chocolate flavored syrup. One serving of it, 2 Tbsps. according to its label, contains 15mg of NaCI, 1% of NaCI’s DRI. Yum. Yum. It’s tasty.

In my Meniere’s case all big-process cured meat products are out. Excellent loca-vore cured meats produced in East Tennessee and Southwest Virginia, which I’ve enjoyed, are my worst triggers. The sensation of ballooning pressure in my inner ear as a my-hand-to-my-mouth-to-my-ear experience, as a result of NaCI intake, directly links 2 of 4 incapacitating & costly vertigo events. Vertigo is the 3rd symptom of Meniere’s. For some Meniere’s patients vertigo is ever present. I’d never experienced vertigo. I was terrified and I don’t recommend it and I don’t want the experience again.
According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH),
To help lower blood pressure, experts recommend that people consume fewer than 2,400 milligrams of sodium a day—about the amount found in a teaspoon of salt. People with high blood pressure should aim for 1,500 milligrams.
I say NIH recommendation is high and it’s a free country and 1500 mgs is more like it. According to Dr. Kirsten Bibbins-Domingo, a researcher at the University of California, San Francisco,
“A very modest decrease in the amount of salt (only 3 grams, about ½ a tsp.)... can have dramatic health benefits.”
I’d be wise to give salt up.

No comments:

Post a Comment