23 January 2014

Taoist Tai Chi ~ 9

My son said, “You use your hands when you talk.” I’d been opining and in my unconsciousness, with my captive audience, I was gesturing. I took it as a cue to stop talking. Oddly, I don't know when I began gesturing with my hands. My wife said, “Yes, he does.” so their observations increase the probability of veracity. When I’m opining I’m unconscious of my body, my arms & hands. In my son’s moment my hand & arm motions are probably akin to those I've learned and practices in Taoist Tai Chi. Hand & arm motion is integral to practice. My limited set leading experience tells me arm & hand motion is a focus of beginning Taoist Tai Chi practitioners’ observation; the movement is enchanting.
I’ve been working on keeping my hands a little further apart, more in keeping with my shoulder width. This means my arms separate a bit. I must think about this at first to practice. I want my Tai Chi stance to open, not close in, as if swinging doors, my arms & hands, were halfway shut...or open. I don’t want to seal off my stance to within. I want to be open in stance to without. I feel like my balance steadies.
As a boy my father opined I had weak ankles, like it was a character defect. Thank you Dr. Science; he was a business executive. He always sounded judgmental; he couldn’t help it; I learned late to ignore this personality element. Yet his observation of my natural stance was correct; my knees tend to knock in too. I’ve improved my sense of my balance by keeping my hands & arms and feet just a wee bit more apart than I’m naturally accustomed too. It’s a subtle, micro adjustment. My Taoist Tai Chi stance has opened. I appear more open. I’m steadier. I feel quieter. I appear stiller…even though I’m in constant movement, as I trust the form of Taoist Tai Chi. Why can this be?
Taoist Tai Chi contributes to and reinforces cultivating my sense of my anatomy. I use the, Wolf-Heidegger ~ The Color Atlas of Human Anatomy book to supplement; it’s got great images. The shoulder, arm, and hand interconnection is called the upper limb. Seeing the anatomy reinforces the complex integration of tissue, muscle, bone and mind in my practice. I also go to The Tiger's Mouth and click on the Anatomy and Physiology category.
As for my rhetorical question, I sense it’s due to my feet’s foundation within the Taoist Tai Chi form. Beginners tend to not watch the master’s feet; the hands & arms are so distracting, so beautiful. My sense of my feet is so integrated into my consciousness I never think of where they are. My feet within my Taoist Tai Chi form are the cornerstone for my balance and feeling stillness while my body continuously moves.

No comments:

Post a Comment