23 December 2013

Advent, 3rd Sunday

Rose is the 3rd Sunday liturgical color during Advent, not the purple signifying inner preparation. We get a break this feast day; passion tints my pallor; purple is flushed with a wee bit of red; my cheeks glow; babe kicks Mother’s womb in anticipation.
I take my 5 senses for granted. I’m unsighted in one eye. I’ve lost some of the all I used to see. I’m deafened in one ear. I’ve lost some of the all I used to hear. I’ve surgical screws in one knee. I lost some motion from the stride I used to run. I’m stuttered with my mind’s words rushing to get out. I stutter some of the all I used to speak. Yet sight, hearing, stride, and voice bust out and send sense-streams from my being into creation. I feel free and relieved and I sing, Gaudéte in Dómino semper: íterum díco gaudete. Isaiah’s message instantly recognizable echoes out in this day’s other readings.
“Then the eyes of the blind shall be opened, and the ears of the deaf shall be unstopped. Then shall the lame man leap as a hart, and the tongue of the dumb shall sing: for in the wilderness shall waters break out, and streams in the desert.”
Oh taste the water and see. I was received in the Episcopal Church on this liturgical day, literally, Rejoice Sunday, a happy day. You unsighted will see. You deafened will hear. You impaired will leap as a stag. You voiceless will sing. I pray for what I do not see. I listen for what I do not hear. I move so I may still leap. I put finger to key to discover what I don’t yet know. Water gushes and flows through a sand choked desert. The Babe kicks and I rejoice. I’m flushed. Passion tints my pallor and my cheeks glow. I feel rosy.

No comments:

Post a Comment