11 July 2013

Artisanship

Birdhouse by ReBob @ Borderland Woodworks.
Image by SweetWilliam
I look straight into the heart of Appalachian culture when I see its folk art. Nothing expresses so well the spirit, creativity, and values of southern Appalachian people than their homegrown and untrained personal expressions of artisanship. I can not hope to understand the women and men of this region without my glimpse into their characters and their affections?
I see how folks pass their time. I see what amuses them and what Appalachians view as satisfying or curious or essential. I see loving care and expression through their hands. Mountain, hill & holler traditions inform their work and their creativity gives their forms craft and their care elevates their craft to artisanship. By their hands Appalachian traditions and people are known. 

No comments:

Post a Comment