08 May 2013

Zombie Mania


Gifted actors in "Zombie Prom"
I stipulate that if I’m writing about zombie-ism the cultural phenomenon has peaked.
I know the illustrating image is a fanciful, theatrical goof; I get it. And the staging is cool; I get it. And my friend's acting, the emotions in the faces, is great. My friends are talented and gifted actors. Yet, I brain-fibrillate suspending belief. The direct expressions chill me, especially the woman’s; these actors are through the lens in my face. It’s revolting and this is the desired effect.
A WSJ item grasps the phenomena. I’m informed and enlightened by it. Yet I know an older couple, never able to birth children, who’ve now adopted a girl and a boy, who wonder and are amazed and dismayed at their 9 & 11 year old fascination with the living dead. I reassure the father the ancient customs that’ve crept into our religious service, though different and unaccustomed especially in the buckle of the Episcopal bible-belt, are nowhere near zombie acting out. His boy likes them.
Wikipedia’s narrative… a hypnotized person bereft of consciousness and self-awareness…. is helpful. The popular culture entries reveal: …hungry for human flesh, …eating (human) brains, …victims of some pandemic illness causing the dead to reanimate are direct and contemporary. My sense is the boy child might like that even more.
The AH online dictionary offers a contemporary order and additional meaning. I like the older ’92, Third Edition’s:
1. A snake god of voodoo cults in West Africa, Haiti, and the southern United States. 2a. A supernatural power or spell that according to voodoo belief can enter into and reanimate a corpse. b. A corpse revived in this way. 3. One who looks or behaves like an automaton.
I don’t like portrayals of brutalized faces. I’m reminded of Farrah Fawcett’s, The Burning Bed. I never understood this mass-market TV- entertainment. The reality is painful and horrifying and incalculably sad. Entertainment ignores and exploits the sustained struggle of brutalized men, women, and children.
My spiritual renovating and renewing self says zombie-ism is a cultural symptom. Zombie-ism is vain discordant alienation that knows it’s not harmonious. Like “living history” zombie-ism is living fear. Zombie-ism is a cultural flash-mob antidote to Disney. I zombie therefore I am. Zombie-ism is like psychiatric nihilism, the delusion that one’s mind, body, or self doesn’t exist. It’s simulating disease, decay and death, brought to life. Simulated bodily corruption, but one is revived, and so one does exist. Zombie-ism is a “bad” dream: the wish that fails. Zombie-ism is acting out spiritual and religious failure.

And what if I'm not even close. My judgements may be all MY little peanut-ego conceptualizes. Maybe the Holy Spirit moves in a manner I cannot even conceive. What if Jesus was the original zombie, and Thomas really couldn't believe his eyes and was revolted, just like me, seeing oozing stigmata and the open gash in Jesus side. Stripped of contemporary cultures did Thomas see,
 A supernatural power or spell that . . . can enter into and reanimate a corpse.
Maybe zombie-ites really want to experience a living death? Maybe Jesus was the first zombie, the Holy Spirit entering and reanimating his corpse. Maybe zombie mania has peaked, I'm way behind the curve, and I have too much time on my imaginative hands. 

No comments:

Post a Comment