04 April 2013

10 Commandments FOR KIDS


Chartres Cathedral Stained Glass: Blue Virgin Window: Temptation on the Temple
I.    You may not love anyone or anything more than you love God.
II.   You may not worship, or put more importance on, any person or thing, other that God. You must worship only the Lord, not your parents, not a friend, not a movie star or sports hero, not a car or boat or skateboard. Nothing.
III.   You may not swear. Use God’s holy name only in a loving way, never to express anger or frustration.
IV.   One day of your week should be set aside for rest and the worship of God. Work six days of the week only. You need a special day set aside to relax and meet with other believers.
V.     Be respectful to your parents. Love them, and the Lord will reward you with a long life.
VI.    You may not hate other people; don’t ever think of hurting someone else in any way.
VII.   Keep your thoughts and actions pure. Sex is a gift of God to married couples.
VIII.  You may not take and keep anything that doesn’t belong to you.
IX.    You may not tell lies, especially when that lie will hurt someone else.
X.     You may not be jealous of what others have. You may not be jealous of your friend’s new toy or clothes or the big house your neighbor live in. Be satisfied with what you have.

I discovered this version when I was rearing my children. I probably got them in my church. They’re a simplification and so I like them. I just used them; they were an outward and visible sign of my intuitive words and deeds I modeled for my children. I didn’t ponder them. Now, for instance, my rector, Father John Mark Wiggers, of St. James Episcopal Church, tells me the 9th commandment means we’re not to bear “false witness.” A pressured parent might say, “Whatever.” The distinction remains though and is quite real. It would be lost on a child. And this example reaches to my point of this particular set. They are for parents, grown-ups, in our contemporary world. It’s not important they’re perfectly accurate. Your effort to teach and to do the 10 with your child is good enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment