13 June 2012

Mantra


A mantra is a sacred verbal formula repeated in prayer, meditation, or incantation such as an invocation of a god, a magic spell, or a syllable or portion of scripture containing mystical properties. I have a mantra. I’m a Christian. My mantra is a Christian mantra.
“Wait, Christians don’t have mantras,” you say.
Wiki mantra and the contents are culturally biased towards eastern religious traditions. I treasure eastern religious traditions and literatures. But the Wiki content is culturally imbalanced.
I attended a Benedictine Experience years ago. The retired Benedictine Abbot leading the experience said every Christian should have a mantra, a simple prayer of “your own composition you can silently repeat to call God to you.” Yeah; s'what I'm talkin' 'bout.
My mantra is three words. I say it when I feel the need to calm and settle myself or to surrender to circumstances I sense are beyond my ego’s ability for thought or feeling. I touch my Canterbury Cross amulet I wear about my neck. The amulet and my mantra are outward visible and verbal signs of the inward and invisible grace I cultivate.
“Come, Lord Jesus.”

No comments:

Post a Comment