25 March 2012

Lent List 5 ~ Just Do It


What is your relationship with the poor, the sick, the suffering? I’m tempted to intellectualize; I’ve written before of my relationship. At this time my relationship is removed; it exists in “otherness” in my mind more than in action.
8 He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
   And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
   and to walk humbly[prudently] with your God.
The prophet Micah sets the prophetic standard. Jesus sets the living example standard. Saint Francis of Assisi sets one. Elizabeth Ann Seaton, Mother Theresa, Dorothy Day, and Sister Helen Prejean, and many others set living examples. I do not meet their example. I do try a bit.
We are called to serve. To live into my baptismal covenant is to do and serve. Here is what I’ve done; it's all history. During a time of extended employment I served mendicants as one part of my work. In another time I served as a volunteer in ETCH, over 400 volunteer hours of service, offering videotapes to children and their parents. I trained and served as a Stephen’s Ministry minister and served those who requested one. I’ve given over 8 gallons of blood, one, then and much later, two pints, at a time, all over 31 years. I pray, for I cannot judge, these are examples of mercy, of trying.
My relationship with the poor, the sick, and the suffering? My relationship is to do and remember the poor, the sick, and the suffering are not “other.” I too am poor. I too am sick. I too suffer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment