07 August 2011

Each Obstacle is a Blessing


I work outdoors. I do lawn care with push mowers and maintain gardens. I like the labor; it's exercise, often it can be difficult. My work is a natural; it comes from within. It’s spiritual. It calls for determination, a strong back, and a creative spirit.
I find creativity in the mow. I earn simple income. I study to learn so to grow so to provide knowledgeable service to customers.
I encounter obstacles.
  • Customers don’t care for my knowledge; please cut my lawn for the little I think I should spend.
  • I’ve little ability to price; customers hold price power.
  • Some customers fail to pay any price.
  • Price is not correlated to difficulty, terrain, area, grass height, work volume, or labor's value.
  • Price links to geography: near-west and west prices aren’t north and east prices.
  • I’m physically just able, especially in the heat, to keep up with demand.
  • I’m unfamiliar with how it feels to work with a person whose work is to help me work.
  • I cannot pay a person what their labor is worth; customers hold price power.
  • I’m emotionally weakened by mechanical breakdown; both inhibit my resiliency and flexibility. I don't like to admit it.
  • My machines are simple, my mechanical knowledge simpler; my ignorance and inexperience is costly.
  • My 1986 Ford F-150 was inexpensive to buy but is costly to run. Gas is the largest operating cost.
  • Knox County and the City of Knoxville, to advertise on my truck, require commercial tags, so it's taxed. Equipment is taxed. Gross sales are taxed.
  • My micro-business is undercapitalized relative to operating costs.
  • A customer’s mistrust is the biggest obstacle I encounter.
  • Every day there is an obstacle to work around, over, or with.
Each obstacle is a blessing.
Obstacles are necessary for success because. . , as in all careers of importance, victory comes only after many struggles and countless defeats. Yet each struggle, each defeat, sharpens your skills and strengths, your courage and your endurance, your ability and your confidence and thus each obstacle is a comrade-in-arms forcing you to become better…or quit.” - Og Mandino

No comments:

Post a Comment