17 December 2010

Buddy

The call was an emergency. Would I go to Jefferson Country Animal Shelter to pick up a basset? He’d been surrendered. The owner had tried to “band” the dog, as in castrate. My words are inadequate; my image speaks more.
An implement, it works inversely, expands a small, thick, rubber band out to ‘bout 2” round, to allow the testicles to pass through. In Buddy’s case there was no mention of device, tool, or implement. Some sort of “band” was placed on his scrotum, no one knew what sort, beneath his testes, forcing them up and behind his penis into his abdomen. A banding is painful. Buddy felt it so. He's chewed the band off. He’d chewed his scrotum and testes off too. He left his duct work trailin’ 2 feet behind.
Buddy was happy to greet me; a happy dog! I walked him, went to my wagon, lifted the hatch, and he leapt into the back, happy and confident as you please, dee-lited, thank you! He went right to the open window. I scrambled to power it up. I was afraid he'd jump out and run. This is a confident dog.
I brought Buddy to Governor John Sevier Animal Clinic veterinary. Thanks be to Belly Rubs Basset Rescue. Buddy’s doin’ fine. His previous owner was prosecuted and convicted for cruelty.

1 comment:

  1. Buddy is doing well and is in his forever home in Wilson County, Tn. He is a sweet and happy boy that loves life. Thank you for your help in getting him to where he is now. Michael Lawrence & family

    hhounds@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete