28 May 2009

Can't Keep From Singing

I'm in my church choir and I can't keep from singing.

One of my natural gifts is musical. I'm blessed with pitch discrimination and tonal memory. I'm also blessed with rhythm memory but this isn't so strong. My pitch and tonal gifts are in the 90th percentiles.

This natural gift was measured by the Johnson O'Connor Research Foundation http://www.jocrf.org/. This foundation is the place to test what your natural gifts are. Johnson O'Connor calls them aptitudes. Yes there are series of exercises that measure aptitudes.

This test demonstrates I like to sing. In fact I'm a happier person because I sing. If I don't sing I'm probably not using my God given gifts. If I don't sing I'm incomplete. It's not that I'm unhappy it's just I'm incomplete, less than whole. In the Biblical sense, I'm keeping my light under a basket. So I'm reminded of a UU hymn "How Can I Keep From Singing." It's a great melody and the original lyrics, below, are attributed to the nineteenth century Baptist preacher Robert Lowry.

My life flows on in endless song
Above earth's lamentation.
I hear the real, though far off hymn
That hails the new creation.

Refrain:
No storm can shake my inmost calm
While to that Rock I'm clinging.
Since love is Lord of Heaven and earth
How can I keep from singing?

Above the tumult and the strife,
I hear the music ringing;
It sounds an echo in my soul
How can I keep from singing?
(Refrain)

What though my joys and comforts die?
I know my Savior liveth.
What though the darkness gather round?
Songs in the night he giveth.
(Refrain)

The peace of Christ makes fresh my heart,
a fountain ever springing!
All things are mine since I am his!
How can I keep from singing?
(Refrain)

No comments:

Post a Comment