09 March 2009

Checklist for Lent ~ Question Three


I think money is like a sixth sense without it I can't make use of my other five. I work to earn money, feel the joy of my senses, to feel alive.
Money and work are linked. I work for money, yes, money is a driver, yes, but an end in itself, money to acquire and hold, no. I think acquiring money for its own sake is immoral; not that I don't see and feel its' allure. But hoarding money is immoral. And it's boring.
I work to take care of myself and my loved ones. I work to feel I'm contributing to something greater than myself.
I'm no slave to money . . . I think.
It's hard to tell. I'm blessed with abundance. I live in America. I was born into a birth family with an abundance of resources especially new financial resources. I never felt a want of educational, medical, or dental abundance. I was taught social cues. I've learned many social cues, from different domestic cultures. I was taught to travel and felt I could travel anywhere. I have never lived with sustained deprivation or impoverishment. As a result the abundance I have been accustomed to is interwoven with my perception.
I used to take money for granted; I was taught complacency. Later on, I had to work hard to have very little money. When I was making the most money I spent it to the care and nurture of my family, and stuff, just stuff. 
Now I'm keenly aware of its presence and the knowledge of what it might mean to be without it. This knowledge is a fear. I, we, get by, but I see so many who do not or cannot get by. So when I spend for things like a new roof, or an heating and air system, a vacation, or a new car (I'd loathe having a car payment; haven't had one for decades.) I simultaneously experience a thankfulness and a grieving.
If I couldn't feel my senses with the aid of some financial abundance I'd be very sad . . . very, very sad, and I'd feel deprived.

No comments:

Post a Comment